- 2 pounds lamb shoulder, cut in 2 by 2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 dried red chili peppers
- 2 teaspoons ginger, freshly grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 400 ml coconut milk
In a pan, roast the black peppercorns, coriander seeds, cloves, fenugreek and fennel seeds. Let them cool down, then grind them.
Fry the onion in olive oil for about 4-5 minutes. When it gets a bit brown on the edges add the garlic, the ginger and the green chilli peppers. Fry them for one minute, then add the lamb and some salt. Continue cooking until the lamb gets a nice brown color.
Add the ground spices and stir fry for a little bit more. Add the coconut milk and the tomatoes, then simmer for about two hours. The meat should be tender and the sauce thick and sticky. If you want, you can reduce the sauce on high heat in a separate pan. Serve the curry hot with grilled courgettes, rice or any other side dish of your choice.
From: Foolproof Indian Cookery by Madhur Jaffrey.