Tomato soup is considered one of the most popular comfort foods in the US. It can be made from scratch, but it is also available in shops in powder form. Although instant powder soup is very fast to prepare, it may contain food additives and preservatives, which make it not so healthy. Besides, a homemade soup made with fresh, high quality ingredients will always taste much better.
Ingredients for 4-5 servings:
- 7-8 medium size, ripe, fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium size yellow onion
- 5-6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (for a vegetarian version of this tomato soup recipe, use vegetable broth instead)
- 1 teaspoon salt
Peel and slice the onion. Core and chop the tomatoes. Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
In a pot, melt the butter, then add the onion, garlic, Stir, cover and cook over low temperature for about 5 minutes. You don’t want the onions to go brown. After 5 minutes add the garlic, stir, then add the tomatoes. Gradually add the chicken broth and simmer with the lid on for about 20 minutes.
Puree the soup using a food processor or a blender. Return the purred soup into the stockpot, add salt, peppercorns, bay leaf and fresh basil and bring it to a boil. Serve the soup hot. Croutons are a nice addition.